The bike route starts at the Driftwood Shores Resort just north of Florence, Oregon. We then work our way down the Oregon Coast, through redwood forests and travel along the California coastline all the way over the Golden Gate Bridge. Six hundred miles, 45,000 feet of elevation, and six days later and we finish at Sunset Beach in San Francisco.
The Ride Plan
Riders and Participants….you know who you are!
I am working to get the plan locked down so all you adventurers need to do is show up and have fun!
Below you will find the daily ride plans including maps for each day, daily mileage, total accumulated mileage and lodging details. We have houses booked for each night to accommodate riders, family and supporters.
Each days ride plan will include ride rest stops and snack/lunch breaks (TBD – I will drive the route this Spring to check the route and select rest stop locations).
I am working on the meal plan for each day. Most likely will select a local restaurant each day to deliver dinner for our entire group. More time for hanging out, less time spent cooking and cleaning up. We can shop for drinks, breakfast/lunch supplies at local shops along the way (Let me know if you have special meal requests/requirements).
I have provided links to local hotels for anyone wanting to book a hotel. There are also links for sightseeing and things to do at each stop along our route….lots of links, so click around to learn more.
Getting to the Florence, Oregon
Florence is approx. 60 miles east of Eugene. If you are flying – you will most likely fly into Portland (PDX) International Airport or Eugene (EUG). Please let me know flight schedules and number of people. I will do my best to make arrangements to get rides to Florence. If you are driving…head directly to Driftwood Shores Resort.
THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
Saturday Sept. 15
Day O – Driftwood Shores Resort – Florence, Oregon – Launch Party
We will have a 60/600 Launch Party the afternoon/evening of Saturday Sept. 15 with food, drinks and live music.
We will wrap up the evening with a bon fire on the beach with S’mores! A fun gathering of friends and family setting a festive mood for the 6 days of riding ahead.
I have booked rooms for the night of Sept. 15. Every room has an ocean front view.
Riders, family and friends should plan to stay Saturday night at Driftwood Shores so everyone is together and ready to roll Sunday morning.
Rooms booked for everyone participating. All you need to do is show up!
If you plan to spend some time in Florence before the ride starts….
Day 1 – Driftwood Shores Resort to Port Orford, Or.
Sunday Sept. 16th
We start our adventure at The Driftwood Shores Resort just North of Florence, Oregon. We will ride over the Siuslaw River Bridge on our way down the beautiful Oregon Coast. We will ride past the Oregon Dunes, through several beach towns and over the Coos Bay bridge before ending the days ride in Port Orford.
Lighthouse – Great Ocean Views – 42410 Sunset Place
10 Guests – Three bedrooms – 7 Beds – 2 Baths
Lighthouse perched on the cliffs of Cape Blanco. Located on 2.5 acres this private property is the farthest westerly point of the contiguous United States. You are literally at the edge of the continent where the surf meets the sand. View the ocean and it’s incredible sunsets while soaking in the hot tub or in the comfort of the home.
Day 1 – Menu
Restaurants -Port Orford:
- The Salty Dawg – Pizza, burgers – 460 Madrona – Port Orford – 541-332-4515
- Wild Oaks Grill – BBQ – 1825 Oregon St. – Port Orford – 707-621-1913
- Griffs on the Dock – Fish & Chips, seafood – 490 Dock Rd – Port Orford – 541-332-8985
Rays Food Place – 1555 Oregon St. – Port Orford – 541-332-1185
Bandon – More restaurants – 15-20 miles North
- Asian Garden – 1032 Oregon Ave. – Bandon – 541-329-1100
- Rancho Viejo Mexican – 150 North Ave Se – Bandon – 541-329-2040
McKay’s Market – 65 10th St SE – Bandon – 541-347-2265
Day 2 – Port Orford to Crescent City
Monday Sept. 17th
Mileage Total: 190.1
We continue our ride south along the amazing Oregon Coast. This day the ride is shorter than the full Century ride of Day 1. Before the day is done, we will leave Oregon and enter California stopping for a seaside rest in Crescent City.
Surfer’s Cove – 500 Pebble Beach Dr.
Four Bedrooms – 5 Beds – 3 Baths
MULTIPLE ocean front views. Watch surfers, migrating whales spouting, ocean kayakers and boats sailing by as you relax on your front porch. This upscale home is located near stairs that lead you to miles of sandy ocean beaches. You can walk along the beach collecting agates, fly a kite or just relax while listening to the waves crash on the beach, a place to build your memories.
Day 2 – Menu
- Perlita’s Authentic Mexican – 297 US HWY 101 – 707-465-6770
- SeaQuake Brewing – pizza, burger, sandwich, – 400 Front St. – 707-465-4444
- 101 Hawaiian BBQ – 1270 Front St. – 707-464-2532
- Marlo’s Italian Restaurant – 632 M. St. – 707-465-8388
- Wing Wah – Chinese – 383 M. St. – 707-465-3935
- Safeway – 475M St. – Crescent City – 707-465-3663
Bike Shop (Just in case!):
- Back Country Bicycle – 1329 Northcrest Dr. – 707-465-3995
Day 3 – Crescent City to Eureka
Tuesday Sept 18th
Total Mileage: 278.2
Day 3 takes us down the Del Norte Coast, over the Klamath River and through Redwood National and State Parks before we get back to the coast line finishing our day in the town of Eureka.
This is another short day….but don’t get too relaxed….Day 4 is a long one…so have fun and be ready for the long ride on Wednesday.
Comfy Eureka House – 2265 Chester Street
Three Bedrooms – 5 Beds – 2 Baths
This house is centrally located & close to shops, yet quiet and rural. Did you know Eureka has an old-growth redwood forest in the middle of town? You’ll be able to stroll to Sequoia Park & Flower Gardens in less than a minute from your front door.
This house will be reserved for the riders as it is further South than the house in Arcata. The next day is quite a long ride.
Day 3 – Menu
- Annie’s Cambodian – 1917 5th St. – 707-442-1556
- Brick & Fire Bistro – Italian, Pizza – 1630 F St. – 707-268-8959
- Humboldt BBQ – BBQ, sandwiches – 310 5th St. – 707-497-6261
- Siam Orchid Thai – 427 V St. – 707-273-1582
- Safeway – 2555 Harris St. – 707-269-0133
- Walmart – 3300 Broadway – Bayshore Mall – 707-832-5269
- Target – 2525 4th St. – 707-442-0201
Bike Shop: (just in case!)
- Revolution Bicycles – 2811 F St. – 707-443-9861
- Adventure’s Edge – 125 W 5th St. – 707-445-1711
Day 4 – Eureka to McKerricher Park (Ft. Bragg)
Wednesday Sept 19th
Total Mileage: 416
This is a BIG Day…longest mileage and most elevation with some sharp rollers leading to a 1,100 ft. climb over five miles starting at mile 98.
But on the bright side it should be one of the most beautiful rides through the Avenue of the Giants Redwood forest with miles and miles of off highway track.
After the big hill we wind our way back to the coast to the Shoreline Highway riding through the village of Westport and ending our day at the beach in McKerricher State Park.
Another bit of good news is we have big comfortable beach houses to rest our weary bodies at the end of the day.
Sea Dream – Beach House – 25500 Ward Ave., Ft. Bragg
Three Bedrooms – 3.5 Baths
Oceanfront with easy beach access. Sea Dream has large front and back decks for relaxing as well as a grassy area for kids (or adults) to play. It’s fully furnished and offers a great atmosphere including a large entry way, large screen SMART TV’s, new appliances, seating at two dining tables-great for large groups, lot’s of skylights and very comfortable furniture with a fireplace in the living room. All bedrooms are large and comfortable. The hot tub room is enclosed from weather or you can open the patio door to enjoy the sea breeze.
Day 4 – Menu
- North Coast Brewing Co. – pizza, pasta, burgers – 444 N. Main St. – 707-202-5104
- D’Aureliso – pizza, Italian – 438 S. Franklin St. – 707-964-4227
- GG’s Thai – 500B S Main St. – 707-961-0830
- Nit’s Café (Asian) – 322 N. Main St. – 707-964-7187
- Starbucks – 576 S. Main St. – 707-964-4256
- Round Table Pizza – 740 S. Main St. – 707-964-4987
- Safeway – 660 South Main St. – 707-964-4079
- Rite Aid – 490 South Main St. – 707-964-1848
- Fort Bragg Cyclery – 301 N. Main St – 707-964-3509
- The Outdoor Store – 247 N. Main St. – 707-397-7171
Day 5 – McKerricher Park to Monte Rio
Thursday Sept 20th
Total Mileage: 525.8
The day is full of many rolling hills but no huge climbs like the day before. We are riding a bit more than 100 miles today because it was hard to find houses…and trying to keep the final day an easier, shorter ride…so we can coast into San Francisco looking fresh and happy.
Day 5 hugs the California Coastline on Hwy 1 called the Shoreline Highway. Watch for the beautiful lighthouse at Manchester (mile 50) and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We finish at the Russian River….9 miles up stream from the coast highway. Russian River is a famous wine growing region.
River Front Wonder – 20390 River Blvd., Monte Rio
Lots of room in this big house – Four Bedrooms – 10 Beds – 3 Baths
Beautiful house on the amazing Russian River with a huge river view deck.
Very private & unique, no houses across the river. 4 bedrooms + bonus rooms with sleeper sofas. Cozy, warm, living room with fireplace, 3 HDTVs and sound system. House includes 3 Kayaks & 1 canoe, Outdoor Grill & Fire pit – Private access to river
Day 5 – Menu
- Village Inn – 20822 River Road – open till 9pm – 707-865-2304
- Gold Coast Coffee & Bakery – bakery, pizza – 25377 Steelhead Blvd – Duncan Mills – 707-865-1441
- Cape Fear Café – open till 9pm – 25191 Main St. – Duncan Mills – 707-865-9246
- Pilon Kitchen – Food Truck(catering) – Venezuelan – 707-513-9883
- River’s End – 11048 Hwy 1 – American – 707-865-2484
- Russian House #1 – 9960 Hwy 1 – group seating – buffet style – 707-865-9456
- Bartlett’s market – 9890 Main – Monte Rio – 707-865-2023 (open till 11pm)
- Fern’s market – 20348 Hwy 116 – Monte Rio – 707-865-1578 (open till 1pm)
Day 6 – Monte Rio to San Francisco
Friday Sept 21st
Total Mileage: 617.1
The last stretch! We ride down the Sonoma Coast, past Bodega Bay and along Tomales Bay heading towards the Golden Gate Bridge and our finish in the Sunset Beach area of San Francisco. It will be fantastic to finish and complete this Bucket List Bike Ride Adventure.
Lodging: Sept. 21 and Sept. 22
2 bedrooms – 4 beds – 2 baths
Located in prime area across from Lake Merced. Free Parking.
Day 7 – 60-600 Finish Party!!
Saturday Sept 22nd
Party for riders, friends and family
Location: Beach Chalet
1000 Great Highway
Ocean Beach, San Francisco, CA
Time: 1:30pm to 5 pm
Hosted Food, Open Bar and Fun!